HMGDJ has recovered over $8 million in rent refunds, a waiver of MCI charges, and forgiveness of any possible rent increases over the past 10 years as part of a J-51 class action settlement for current and past tenants of an Upper East Side building. The agreement, approved by New York State Supreme Court last week, is one of the largest class action settlements in a J-51 overcharge case since the 2009 Roberts decision. The $8 million will be distributed among 327 past and current tenants of the Clermont, located at 442 East 82nd Street. The settlement guarantees permanent rent stabilized status for class members. The tenant class is represented by William Gribben and Ron Languedoc of HMGDJ, and by Matt Brinckerhoff of Emery Celli Brinckerhoff Abady Ward & Maazel LLP.
- HMGDJ Recovers Over $8 Million In Rent Refunds, A Waiver Of MCI Charges And Forgiveness Of 10 Years Of Rent Increases In Historic J51 Class Action Settlement
- HMGDJ wins a two and a half year, 30% rent abatement, after trial, proving the landlord failed to satisfactorily maintain a rent stabilized studio apartment
- Viewpoint: No question that enacted pro-tenant legislation working
- Spotlighting NYC landlords’ eviction tactics and rationales
- Some near-term perspective on slate of new protective NY housing laws