New York’s Premier
Tenants’ Rights Law Firm

HCR (DHCR) FOIL Procedures Updated

On Behalf of | Jun 26, 2016 | Rent Stabilization |

HCR (formerly known as DHCR) is the agency that has supervision over rent-stabilized and rent-controlled apartments. There are many proceedings that are handled by the HCR, including overcharge complaints, MCI applications, rent reduction applications, luxury deregulation petitions…

Often (for instance in all MCI proceedings) it is necessary for a tenant to file a request for records from the agency, sometimes known as a FOIL request. The HCR has recently changed its procedures. The updated procedures are below. 


  1. The ORAFOIL email address will be disabled. Please send all Request for Records Access to [email protected].
  2. The Request for Records Access form will be updated. Please go to the HCR website to see form REC-1(6/16). The previous form (FOIL-1) will no longer be in use.
  3. Please review the new document- Operational Bulletin 2016-02/Procedures for Request for Records Access, Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) Request and Subpoenas, which can be found on the HCR website. The previous Operational Bulletin (93-1) will no longer be in use.
  4. Please refer to the HCR FOIL page, on the HCR website, which has been updated to include new information, procedures, forms and email addresses.
FindLaw Network
/*Script for fixing tabbing and visual focus indicators working properly in the main menu.*/