New York’s Premier
Tenants’ Rights Law Firm
Kevin R. McConnell
- Of Counsel
Kevin R. McConnell, one of the founding members of the firm, retired in January 2022 but remains with the firm as Of Counsel. Kevin is a graduate of the Catholic University of America (l973, Political Science) and the New York University School of Law (l976, J.D.). In his over 30-years of practice he concentrated on tenants' rights and cooperative and condominium law. Kevin handled most of the transactional work for the firm, representing buyers and sellers of co-op and condominium apartments, reviewing and negotiating commercial leases and litigating on behalf of commercial tenants. Kevin also was general counsel to a number of co-op and condo boards.
He has also served as a lecturer for the City of New York's Department for the Aging for their service providers on commercial leases and how to negotiate terms and conditions of the leases. Attorney General James appointed Kevin to her task force on the Real Estate Financing Bureau to advise on ways the office can be more responsive to the consumer community. Kevin was a long-time member of the New York City Bar Association's Co-operative and Condominium Law Committee.
Areas Of Practice
- Real Estate Transactions
- Tenants Rights
- Cooperative and Condominium Law
- New Jersey, 1976
- New York, 1977
- U.S. Federal Court, 1976
- New York University School of Law, New York, New York
- J.D. - 1976
- Catholic University of America, Washington, District of Columbia
- B.A. - 1973
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Honors: Blue Key
- Major: Political Science
- As general counsel to Co-op Apartment Corporations, has routinely represented Corporations in the refinancing of their mortgages. Recently represented three Apartment Corporations in each’s mortgage refinancing in the amount of $2.250 million, $5.250 million and $2.250 million.
- Represented movie set construction company in defeating its Landlord’s attempt to evict; and, subsequently the company in negotiating the terms of three different leases, including a large commercial space for its set design work.
- People v. Katz, 446 N.Y.S.2d 307, 1982, N.Y.A.D. 1 Dept., 1982104788
- East Midtown Plaza Housing Company Inc. v. Cuomo, 20 NY3d 161 (Court of Appeals 2012)
- Walsh v. Wusinick, West Village Associates et al, 32 A.D.3d 743 (Appellate Division First Dept., 2006)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Housing Unit of South Brooklyn Legal Services, Senior Staff Attorney
- Brooklyn Legal Services, Member, Board of Directors
- Enforcement Division of the Bureau of Real Estate Financing, Assistant Attorney General
- New York City Bar Association’s Co-operative and Condominium Law Committee, Member
- Brooklyn Bar Association, Member
- Phi Beta Kappa
Frequent Case Types
Read more about the types of cases I often handle.